Expanding the Days of Bread experience through the CKP
Different cultures have different breads.
In concurrence with the UCCN XII Conference in Krakow- Katowice, ITKI US is promoting a common, trans-network project (i.e. not only Cities of Gastronomy but all 180 Creative Cities), called “Days of Bread”, first presented on June 9-10, 2018, Wolnica Square, Krakow, as proposed by the UCCN XII Committee. The inspiration for ITKIUS’ project derives from the words of the organizers: “… bread is a symbol of fecundity and miracles, generosity and sharing … bread fulfills a specific function in social and culinary culture by providing nourishment and sustenance, and its methods of preparation and associated traditions are as diverse as the world itself”.
For this project, Tucson City of Gastronomy the – NGO organization managing Tucson’s UNESCO City of Gastronomy designation – has partnered with the International Traditional Knowledge Institute – U.S. Chapter (ITKI-US), Krakow City of Literature, and the UCCN to expand and enhance the Days of Bread celebration through the Creative Knowledge Platform.
The Creative Knowledge Platform is used to:
- Tell the stories of the Bread Knowledge Keepers of each Creative City’s representative bread, including the farmers, millers, artisan bakers, and household cooks involved in making the bread;
- Describe the creative processes of the Knowledge Keepers, with a mix of text, interviews, photographs, and video content. In addition, each Creative City may submit additional content within their creative field;
- Create Experiential Itineraries with a smartphone application (iOS) (Android);
- Provide content for the “Discover the Traditional Breads of the Creative Cities” publication, a booklet of recipes and background cultural knowledge, that will be available in pdf format online;
- Used multimedia support to enhance physical participation in the “Days of Bread” celebration;
- Promotes ongoing virtual participation by Creative Cities that were unable to send Bread Knowledge Keepers to the event, and
- Will create a permanent UCCN cultural knowledge resource online (also in print). As well, this will be the first inter-cluster project tied to the UCCN annual conference open to all Creative Cities in the UCCN.
The results of this project will be presented in Fabriano, Italy at the XIII UCCN Annual Meeting in 2019 as well as in a published book.
Click here to discover the Creative Cities participating in the “Days of Bread” and click here for a preview of the “Days of Bread” publication.
ITKIUS is aiming for complete participation across the UCCN and is still collecting information. If you are a Creative City representative, we encourage and invite you to fill out the information forms found here:
If for any reason the Google forms are unavailable, you can find the forms as word documents here:
- Essential Information Form (Creative City_Recipe_Baker).docx
- Supplemental Information Form (Farmer_Miller_Traceability).docx
- Formulaire essentiel CKP (French version).docx
- Formulaire supplémentaire CKP (French version).docx
If you have any questions, or would like a sample of the “Days of Bread” publication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.